Northwood Station 1 was originally established in Febuary of 1953 as The Ross Twp Volunteer Fire Department No. 1, Company.
The original Trustees were:
Henry R. Quetschke
Eli H. Stemen
HISTORY OF NORTHWOOD V.F.D. #2 COMPANY
Northwood Volunteer Fire Department #2 (formerly Ross Township #2) was proposed in November, 1949 as the Ross Township Civic Association. Not much action was taken until mid February, 1950. At that time Mr. Karl Hirzel, Sr., owner of Hirzel Canning Company on Lemoyne Road, called a group of citizens to his office and asked them if they were still interested in starting a fire department. If so, he had a 1945 Ford chassis with a 1946 Mercury flat-head engine and also an 800-gallon tank he would donate.